Saturday, December 6, 2008

lessons and exerpts

Today i learned:
(with the help of Jeremiah)
either enjoy downtime and use it for your sanity, or else do the things that you need to be doing.
it is useless to sit around and fret about the things you have yet to do.
I was using my downtime in a futile way- i was avoiding and procrastinating, and so i was neither enjoying myself nor being productive. i didnt realize what i was doing until jeremiah helped guide me to this realization.

Look- in mine you can see both of my parents eyes:

(click to enlarge)

There is a blue/gray ring around the outside from my mom, and the inside is green from my dad.

You can only see my dads eyes in mine when there is a lot of light.

Comforting though, that i can find them each there.


My aunt (Laura) suggested this book: The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. I checked it out from the MSU library today, and i am 3 pages in and i already love it. Sometimes, right from the start you can tell that you are going to enjoy a book. I knew the first paragraph when the author asked me to picture a forest, to be it's conscience, to be it's eyes.
Here is a small exerpt from that paragraph:
"A single-file army of ants biting a mammoth tree into uniform grains and hauling it down to the dark for their ravenous queen." (imagine an ant devouring a mammoth tree, grain by grain!) "And, in reply, a choir of seedlings arching their necks out of rotted tree stumps, sucking life out of death. This forest eats itself and lives forever."
then on the next page
"She is inhumanly alone. and then, all at once, she isn't. a beautiful animal stands on the other side of the water. they look up from their lives, woman and animal, amazed to find themselves in the same place."
to me, this seems to demonstrate how temporary or fragile loneliness or despair can be. (although you would never guess if you were immersed in it!)

So, if you read this, thanks Laura for the suggestion.

Anyway. Homework today.
Should be a productive Saturday.
Nothing wrong with that.

No comments: